Monday 30 April 2007

Saturday 28th April

Get up and have breakfast, bread and cheese again. Go to Wollaton, arrive at Bramcote shops at 10 am, early for a change. It’s the first time I've worn the red jumpsuit in the Campaign. Lots of conversations concerning my placard “Save Oil – Bonk Locally”. “What does it mean?” says one woman. “Its means don’t go miles to have affairs, save energy and have them round here” “I do!” she says, I’m about to ask her where she lives but she marches briskly away.

A girl with a cider can asks me what the colour of Elvis’s co-star Anne-Margaret’s hair was. “Red” I say, “Just like yours”. She looks pleased, unfortunately she lives in Beeston so no vote there.

Call it a day and go home, on the way I have my picture taken in the Market square next to an old Wollaton Vale bus (1942). Get in the house, make a cup of tea and read the Guardian, Labour and Tory MPs are colluding to try and get themselves exempted from the Freedom of Information Bill. It was talked out last week but has ‘miraculously’ re-appeared and is due to be debated on May 18th when the MPs will be back at Westminster after the local elections. I bet it will get through this time, the shameless swines. I decide to re-invent my Blair-Cameron flyer and add some new words “Happy New Labour in Bed with the Tories – Buggering Up the Freedom of Information Act.

Sunday 29th April

Get up and have breakfast, Welsh rarebit, well it is Sunday. Buy the Observer, Henry Porter going on about the Freedom of Information Bill. We are sliding into a Police State courtesy of an arrogant government and a supine electorate. Cameron's lot aren’t interested in Civil Rights, they’ll just be as bad if they’re elected despite all this “Hug a Hoodie” gush. (See real Tory Logo)

Go to Wollaton and do some leafleting, end up in the Wollaton Golf Club. It’s very posh, I want to give the manager a flyer but he’s ill, I have a drink in the bar, a pint of Mansfield, red Elvis jump suit, sun glasses etc. A woman waves at me from the restaurant bar. “Dave, Dave, it’s me, don’t you remember?” Blimey, she used to be my girlfriend in 1957, 50 years ago. We talk for a while about the old days but she has to leave because it’s a men only bar. Well, well we’ve both changed a lot but this place hasn’t. In this culture of manic mindlessness, going nowhere, I find that strangely comforting. I’m more conservative than Cameron or Blair, they would hate the place. Four more days to go!

No comments: